Search:

Monday, July 29, 2013

Saying Goodbye Is Hard.

Coming home after eating our last dinner together was special.  It was our last bus ride all together.  The last time we sung songs in off-key unison. The last time we giggled and laughed at each others jokes. As amazing as I felt, we felt, it was bittersweet. 

     Getting off the bus we had a few minutes to freshen up then back out in front off the apartments to be given our certificates. As Connor, our playful academic advisor, passed the certificates out Luke ,our resident drama queen, started the waterworks. Thus leading to a domino effect, where half the group was left bawling the eyes out. Including me, the biggest mess of the group, having a very close to literal river running down my face into a pool of eyeliner and mascara that settled on the shoulder of whomever I was crying on.
    
      I couldn't say goodbye.  I feel in love hard and quick with Dublin.  The cobblestone streets and rolling green landscapes captured my heart and I wasn't ready to break up. Late that night I toyed with the idea of "missing" my flight and becoming a beggar near St.Stephen's green but I chickened out.

     Waking up Friday morning I fought back tears riding the bus to the airport.  The thought of leaving finally set in and I promise I was on the verge to a panic attack.  I couldn't leave, my life back at home sucked in comparison. My heart was breaking in my chest as we flew over New Orleans.  I saw the superdome and my European adventure was over. One tear escaped my eyes as I begged silently to myself  to go back, Ireland was now my unofficial home. I found a little part of who I was in Ireland.  I grew up. But I couldn't let go, not just yet.

    The moment I got home I took out a clover I picked on my first day and pinned it on my wall. It's a small token to represent something so much bigger. A life changing expirence that brought a whole new meaning to what Ireland really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment